The year is galloping away and it is hard to believe we have finished all the monthly medal rounds and fast approaching our annual tournament. The weather has been kind to us and the course is at its springtime best. Fingers crossed it continues this way while we still have some very important events to complete for the year.
Points of Interest and Results
- The ninth Monthly Medal was held on 19th September and thank you to our sponsor Tim Gray of Terry White Chemmart. Tim couldn’t join us on the day but sent his congratulations to the winners and reiterated that he was very glad to continue his sponsorship because so many of the women support his business. The winner on the day was Joanna Sangster with a brilliant 66 nett. Other winners on the day were Susan Fenwick ( 72 scratch/ 67 nett) in Division 1; Alison Duffield (scratch 94) and Odile Prosser-Fenn ( 69 nett) in Division 2 and Lisa McDonald in Div 3. Lisa had a great round with 66 nett but was just beaten for the medal on a countback. Lauren Beels won the 9 hole event with 20 stableford points. Well played everyone with super scores.
- The Sadie Thomas Memorial Bowl was contested on 26th September and Aileen was there to congratulate the winners. Aileen and Alan Ralston have been sponsoring this event for many years and we thank them for their continued support. Both the 18 hole and the 9 hole event played a 4BBB. Ros Davis and Narelle Davidson combined well to be the winners with 48 points. They did well to make this a re-run of last year, so their names will be engraved on the silver Bowl for two consecutive years. Well done. First runners-up were Alison Duffield and Tania Rusden, second runners-up were Elizabeth Stair and Jan Bishenden. All the runners-up scored 48 as well, so it was a very close result. In the 9 hole event Willie Shannon and Sue Noonan scored 19 points for the win. The raffle was provided by Alison Duffield and thanks for the generous support.
- Swingers’ Fun Day was held on 3rd October in the form of an Irish Fourball. Thank you to our sponsors Janine Bessen, Jenny Millner, Helen Neal, Kezz Brett, Carolyn Lennon and Winnie Buttenshaw. The winners accrued 94 points – Lorie Leahey, Ann Williams, Marg Fleming and Sally MacDougal – well done. Runners-up were Lesley Williams, Rhonda Bloomfield, Marg Ogilvy and Maureen Blunden with 92 pts and second runners-up were Marilyn Maxwell, Dawn Roberts, Val Pollack and Ruth Swift. The raffle on this day was donated by Deirdre Horan – thank you.
- The Mixed Foursomes Championships were held on 8th October and Jo Hunter and Bruce Johnston had a very good round with 76 off the stick to take out the trophy. Congratulations. In the handicap event Martin Caro and Marilyn Maxwell took home the spoils.
- The Regional Finals for the Keno Ambrose were held at Mudgee recently. We had several players attend but the most successful were the team of Virginia Conran and Peter Mitchell. They won the mixed event and are now off to Bonville for the State Final later this year. Good luck to you.
- The 10th Monthly Medal was held on 10th October – thank you to Julie Mendham and Caboodle for the sponsorship. The medallist on the day was Alison Duffield with 65 nett – she is certainly in a purple patch at the moment with several other wins recently. This is Alison’s second monthly medal this year. Well done. Scores were impressive on the day and others who did well were Jo Hunter, Michelle Paul, Glenys Grimmett, Phyllis Conran and Dot Tandy.
Coming Events at Duntryleague
- Can-Assist Charity Day is set down for Tuesday 17th October sponsored by Marg Shannon, Jill Benson, Dot Beasley, Janis Pritchard and Shirley Doherty. This will be a 4 person fourball. In conjunction a Pink Ball event that will cost only $2.50 extra for each person and all moneys raised from this will go towards Can-Assist as well as the raffle money on the day. Some great raffle prizes to be won so make sure you bring along your cash for this. The Pink Ball rules will be explained on the day. Visitors are invited to attend on this day so invite your golfing friends along and phone the Pro Shop to ensure they are listed in the Draw.
- Our Tournament is on 23, 24 and 25th October. This is shaping up to be a great time with our Tournament Director, Maria, and her offsider Beryl, having everything organised to the nth degree. The field is full and the club is busy working out how to fit over 200 women into the club house for the presentation dinner. Our very generous sponsors include Duntryleague, Orange City Council, Ramsey Health (Dudley), West Orange Motors, Blowes Men’s Wear, Angullong Wines, Orange Ex-Services, The Oriana, Beryl Pearce, Maria Crawford, Virginia Conran, Lisa McDonald, Miss Mary Mac, DuntryLeague Golf Centre, Anne and Louise Stevens and Ellamatta Orchard (Narelle and Grahame Davidson). Even if you are not playing in the Tournament you can still participate by volunteering for some of the many tasks involved such as raffle selling, spotting and raking. Rosters for these are up on noticeboards so please try to put your name down to help in some capacity. The other way to be involved is by purchasing some raffle tickets – they will be on sale prior to the tournament – there are some great prizes including a stay and play package, wine from Angullong, an Oriana voucher and plenty more.
- Melbourne Cup Day 7th November will be a shotgun start so everyone is finished their round in time for lunch and to see the race. This year we are trying something different and a BBQ/ Sausage Sizzle will be available – pay at the beginning of the day when you pay for your golf. Alternatively some people may like to indulge in the Melbourne Cup Luncheon that is being held at the club – with 3 courses, sweeps and music – tickets for this are still available. Thank you to the sponsors on this day – Cathy Fisher, Wendy Reid and Pat Rose.
- Medal of Medals sponsored by Lisa McDonald will be on Tuesday 14th November. The medallists vying for the ultimate prize are Wendy Brown, Narelle Davidson, Margo Snare, Pauline Jani, Tania Rusden, Jane Arnott, Sally Kay, Alison Duffield and Jo Sangster. For everyone else on this day a stroke event will be played.
- 21st November Closing Day sponsored by Cheryl and Richard Bennett GIO. Visitors are encouraged and there will be prizes over three divisions for Scratch, Nett and Stableford.
- 28th November will be our AGM and it will follow the usual pattern with a shot gun start for golf followed by the meeting. Sponsors are Narelle Provost, Pattie Pellow and Barb Mutton.
Coming Events -Away ( notices for these are usually on the noticeboard)
- Mudgee Tournament 14 -15th October
- Molong Tournament 22nd October
- Wellington Tournament 26th October
WDLGA Finals Day was held at Forbes on 28th September. Dubbo won the Pennants flag for 2023 getting up 4/1 against Wellington. A very young Maev Dorman from Bathurst won the Champion of Champions trophy. In the Spoon event Duntryleague was represented by Lindy Simpson, Margot Sullivan, Ann Williams, Dawn Roberts, Val Durack and Sally Heigh. We didn’t come home with any prizes but thank you for giving the time and representing our club.
The Regional Finals of the Golf NSW Medal competition are to be held at Mudgee on 15th October in conjunction with their Tournament. Sally Kay and Tania Rusden will be there to try and get to the next level – the State Finals. Good luck to them.
Our course has been re-rated. The Indexes will be changing so keep an eye out for this – a hole where you may have previously had 2 shots, you may now only get one shot. Or vice versa.
Happy Golfing. Cheers Sally H.