And so we come to the end of the year and the last few weeks have been full on. We have had the AGM, the November Invitational Day and the culmination of the year was the Christmas Cheer Day. It has certainly been a busy time and this will be the last newsletter for the year.
Points of Interest and Results
- The Annual General Meeting was held on 21st November and the sponsors for the day were Narelle Provost, Pat Pellow and Barb Mutton and thanks to them for their generous support. Most women played a 9 hole event because greens renovations had originally been scheduled; but when the renovations didn’t happen there was a small contingent that played 18 holes. Winner of the 18 hole event was Jan Bishenden with a very tidy 39 points. In the 9 hole event Taua Holmes took out the Division 1 spot with 18 pts c/b ; and Janet Appleby won Div.2 with 21 pts – very impressive given that Janet has not had any golf for many months. The meeting was well attended and John Cook was on hand to answer the questions from the floor, and give lots of information about how the Club is performing. There were also some annual prizes awarded from GolfNSW and from the NSW Women’s Vets Assoc.. The Committee was re-elected as it was for 2022 with one exception – Marg Fleming joins the Committee – welcome Marg ; and Val Durack leaves after many years as Secretary and Ass. Secretary. Val will be missed as she has all those years of knowledge and experience; we thank her for all her contributions and commitment to Women’s Golf at Duntry. The Minutes of the Meeting have been emailed out to all the women members.
- November Invitational Day was held on 28th November. Formerly known as Closing Day it is sponsored by Cheryl and Richard Bennett of GIO. They have been sponsors for this day for quite a few years and we do appreciate their continuing interest and support of Duntry women’s golf. Also supporting our day by giving raffle prizes were the Pro Shop, Duntryleague Club and Michelle Paul of Bowen Therapy. We are always so thankful of all our sponsors, as many of our prizes could not be as generous as they are, without sponsorship. Thanks everyone. It was a big day with prizes given for scratch, handicap and stableford over three divisions and players also vying for Nearest the Pin prizes and Longest Drive. Susan Fenwick in Division 1 had a brilliant day with 72 off the stick to take out the top prize. Alison Seib of Wentworth was runner up with 80. Glenys Grimmett was best in Div 2 with 95 scratch, Runner up was Judy Royal; and Pat Pellow took out Div 3 with 101, runner up Jan Bishenden. It was a great day with a few hurdles thrown in – the greens had only just been renovated so putting proved to be interesting and quite difficult. As well, rain threatened for most of the day but it was only the last few groups that were caught out by the weather.
- Christmas Cheer Day dawned sunny and hot just like an Aussie Christmas should be. It was a shot gun start, for a 4 Person best ball, so we could all be in at the same time for a festive lunch. Thanks to our Events Organiser, Justine, and her staff for putting on such a great luncheon. Thanks also to our generous sponsors – Elaine and Kevin Cusack for the hams and Hattie Crossing of Angullong for all the wines. 1st place getters with 94 points on a countback were Alison Duffield, Virginia Conran, Phyllis Conran and Annie King. They received a delicious ham each. Runners up also received a ham each and they were Sally Gordon, Jenny Millner, Denise Watts and Janine Bessen. Runners up 2,3,4 and 5 all received bottles of Angullong. Elaine and Hattie were both there to award the prizes to the lucky and excited winners. The raffles numbered thirteen and as per tradition they were hampers put together from the festive donations of all our members. So thirteen lucky women went home with some Christmas goodies for their table on 25th Dec.. Nearest the pin winners also got Angullong. Val did her annual quiz and we all realised how much had happened on the golf course during the year but that we had forgotten about.
- Tuesdays in December – there will be 18 or 9 hole stableford events.
- Thursdays starting 7th December right through to just before February, the 9 hole Consistency Competition will be running. This comp is a 9 hole comp but an 18 hole daily comp will also run in conjunction. There are 8 rounds in total for the Consistency Comp and the winner is determined by their best 5 rounds. You don’t have to play in all eight rounds but to be the winner you would need to complete five rounds.
- Tuesdays in January for a total of four rounds is the Summer Points Competition. Depending on the weather the rounds will be held on 2nd, 9th, 16th and 30th January. Again you don’t have to play in all four rounds, but the best two rounds will determine the winner. It is a 9 hole competition and in conjunction there is a daily comp of 18 holes. This comp is sponsored by Maria Crawford – thank you Maria for your continuing support.
- This is a new one – the first Monthly Medal of the year will be on Tuesday 16th January. This is sponsored by Leesa Jagers of Eye See Eyes. It is also the beginning of the Eclectic for the year and the first round of the Women’s Golf NSW Medal. The putting comp is sponsored by Janis Pritchard. If you have been concentrating you will have realised it is also the third round of the Summer Points Comp.
- West Orange Motors Duntryleague Classic is on 21st, 22nd and 23rd January.
- 6th February will be the February Invitational Day ( formerly known as Opening Day). There will be the usual competitions – Scratch, Handicap and Stableford for 18 holes as well as a 9 hole comp. Roan Financial Group are the sponsors and they are at the top of the list when it comes to sponsors. Thank you Peter Roan. Visitors can play in this so keep an eye out for the flyer sent out in late January with all the details.
- If you were at the Xmas Lunch you would have heard our Captain, Kerry, relay this news, but I repeat it here for everyone to know. ” Congratulations to Susan Fenwick for her fantastic result this year in the NSW Women’s Senior Order Of Merit. This is the first time Susan has entered this event. She competed in seven matches at various venues around the state of which her four best results count towards the final score. Susan successfully gained fourth position in the Gross and snared first position in the Nett results. Well done Susan! We are so proud of you and for helping to highlight the name of Duntryleague through your efforts.”
- The dates for Western Districts Tournaments have been decided for 2024. There is a list on the noticeboard for those golfers who like to be super organised for the year. Sometimes there will be changes but the list is correct for the moment. Our secretary, Sally G., usually posts tournament flyers on the noticeboard as they are sent to her, about two or three weeks prior to the event.
- Please remember that the Indexes on the red tees have now been changed. Be careful and be sure to check each Hole and its Index as you play your next round. You can’t assume you get strokes on the same holes you did a fortnight ago.
Merry Christmas and happy Golfing. Cheers Sally H.