Rotate screen to landscape to see full draw
Have you noticed? Not as many people on the course recently – autumn has ended and winter has arrived with a vengeance. As I write this there has been a protracted cold snap with sleety rain and gusty winds; snow seems to be always just threateningly on the horizon. Many players have chosen the warm indoors to a cold few hours on the fairways. This is the time of year we need to look after the course and that is why preferred lies have been re-introduced. Remember to mark your ball before taking a maximum 30cm preferred lie, no closer to the hole. Also to look after the playing surface please do not take any more than 2 carts per playing group out on the course. Share carts so you can keep to this 2 cart maximum limit.
Points of Interest
- 27 Holes Foursomes Championships This rather challenging event took place on 17th May – everyone seemed more than happy when they eventually reached the clubhouse and no-one was complaining too loudly about their partner putting them in the trees. Sponsors for this once a year event were Burcher EFI, Marilyn Maxwell, Pam Wright and Dianne Smith and we thank them for their generous support. The Scratch winners were Sally Kay and Jo Hunter with a score of 120, and they will have their names engraved on the trophy. Runners-Up were Susan Fenwick and Michelle Paul. The Nett winners were Margot Sullivan and Virginia Conran with a score of 113 and Runners-up were Val Pollock and Louise Stevens. Congratulations to all.
- 4BBB Stroke Matchplay Championships The qualifying round for this annual event was played on 24th May and coming in in first place was the team of Val Pollock and Louise Stevens. These girls are making a habit of being in the winners’ circle and had a great score of nett 63. Close behind were the Runners-up Dawn Roberts and Erana Swain 64, third went to Rhonda Bloomfield and Susan Fenwick, and 4th were Carol Hughes and Barb Chapman. The trophy for the best qualifiers, the Dorothy Collins Memorial Trophy, will be presented on the last day of this matchplay championship – weather permitting this will be 16th June. 15 teams qualified and are now in the process of matchplay games. As at 9th June the two teams left to play the final are Louise Stevens and Val Pollock versus Beryl Pearce and Sally Heigh. These girls won their semi-final in excruciating weather and one player commented that all the semi-finalists ( Lou, Val, Jenny M., Sue H., Sally H., Beryl, Odile and Cathy) deserved a medal for being there. The winners will be awarded the Moira Johnson Memorial Salver; as mentioned presentation will be on 16th June and we usually celebrate with nibbles and wine so come along to congratulate the winners. Sponsors for the Dorothy Collins trophy are the Collins Family and sponsors for the Moira Johnson trophy are Maria Crawford, Ann Williams, Edna Sharp and Carol Reynolds – thankyou. Hopefully as many of these sponsors as possible will be on hand for the all important presentation.
- 4BBB Naggers Cup sponsored by Brian and Dianne Smith was held on 22nd May – thanks for the continued sponsorship. The winners on the day were Ros Davis and Robert Payne with 42 points and this was on a countback from Dawn Roberts and Roger White, so just pipped there. Coming in third place were Margo and Lester Snare. No-one has volunteered any information about who was the Nagger in each of these teams!
- Par 3 Championships This year the event was marred somewhat by some intermittent and annoying rain, so the numbers probably weren’t as good as usual for this popular event. Sponsored by Beryl and Don Pearce it was held on Sunday 15th May. Best on the day for the ladies were Sally Kay (scratch winner) with 59, Lindy Simpson 66 and Jo Hunter 68. The handicap place getters were Mary Close 44 C/b, Janine Gallagher 44 and Cindy Marks 46.
- Cumnock Tournament A few of the Duntryleague ladies travelled to Cumnock on 22nd May for their annual tournament and were lavishly entertained. The usual country hospitality was extended to all the visitors and it was a brilliant sunny day which made up somewhat for playing the difficult sand greens. Cumnock was lush and green compared to a few years ago when it was as dry and arid as a desert. Jo Sangster had a win – Runner-up in Div 1 Handicap and Taua Holmes was R-up in Div 1 Scratch. Now that we have been told to live with Covid we may be able to travel and participate in more of these smaller country tournaments.
- Cowra Tournament 15-16-17 June As this newsletter goes to the Publisher we have some ladies going to the Cowra Tournament. Hope the weather doesn’t stop them going and that they play well and have fun.
- Monthly Medal for June This will be the fifth monthly medal and is set down for 14th June. Proudly sponsored by Yates Baker McLean thankyou. In conjunction will be the Veterans Country Championships which is a NSW Veterans event held each year in June for any clubs that want to participate. Lesley Williams, our Vets rep, will be on hand to do the calculating to determine the winners of this one. The divisions for this are slightly different to our club divisions and Duntryleague has to be your home club to be in the running. Presentation of awards for this championship is not made until later in the year, usually at the AGM.
- Pennants Duntryleague plays its second game on 17th June here at home against West Wyalong. We have to win nearly all the matches to be able to stay in the competition. Good luck to the players.
- 21st June WDLGA Spoon Stableford event sponsored by the Country Duntry girls – Pauline Jani, Cheryl Bennett, Jenny Cutler, Judy Royal, Marg Ogilvy and Pam Evans. Winners and Runners-up in each division can go to Western Districts Finals Day which is on 29th September. A venue for this has not been decided yet as it depends on who are the final two teams in Pennants.
- 28th June Stableford Multiplier This is a fun game if you have an eccentric view of what is fun. It can be cruel if you are not playing so well. Remember that any number multiplied by zero, equals zero. So if one of your team doesn’t score on a hole, even if the other player gets 4, then your score is zero. I only mention this because last time this game was played we had several interesting multiplications.
- Monthly Medal for July is number 6 and is sponsored by Beryl and Don Pearce. Thankyou for your sponsorship over many years. This is also the last of the GolfNSW Medal rounds – you know the year is getting away from you when the last of these rounds are played. The results of the NSW Medal can now be tallied and the winners in each division eventually announced. They will be able to play at a District Final in Wellington on October 20th.
- Trundle Tournament on 19th June and Trangie Tournament on 21st June. Details on the noticeboard.
There will be another newsletter before the next couple of events but here is some advance notice.
There will be a Texas Shoot Out ( teams of 4) on Winter Wonderland Day on 19th July. This has been a great event over the last few years so get your teams ready and listen out for final details (cost etc ). It will be a shot gun start and lunch will be waiting in the clubhouse afterwards – usually soup and then a dessert.
The other event that you may need advance notice for is the all important and prestigious Canobolas Cup. Held at the height of winter this is a test of survival and endurance, not to mention good golf. The two qualifying rounds will be on 26th and 28th July. Sixteen people can qualify and then over the subsequent Thursdays will be eliminated via matchplay until we have the last two standing, playing 36 holes in the final. Weather permitting the final should be played on 25th August. So look at your calendars and make sure you are available for both qualifying rounds as well as the elimination rounds – just in case. Who knows you just might strike a purple patch at that time. A Consolation Cup is also held for the players who are eliminated in the first round.
Duntryleague Tournament in October seems a long long time away but tournament organisers are well into the preparations. Remember if you missed out getting your entry in on time you can always put your name down on the Wait List – go online for this and any queries to Maria or Beryl.
Duntryleague Veterans Tournament This tournament is held in early October and sponsored by Beryl and Don Pearce, Tooheys and Duntryleague. As with many Veterans events it is a stableford competition and always been a popular event as it runs on from the long weekend in October when daylight saving has just started. This is a great time to be in Orange as the long dreary winter months are over and spring is at its zenith. 4th, 5th and 6th October – brochures are in the Ladies room with all the other details and entry form. Any queries to Beryl.
Handicap Changes Last newsletter I reported that from now on nearly all our competitions will be conducted in 3 divisions (numbers permitting of course). In another change the handicaps in each division will also change. This is to make competition more equitable because the division numbers were a bit off kilter. So now Division 1 will be handicaps 0 – 24, Div 2 h/caps 25 to 31, and Div 3 h/caps 32 to 45. These won’t apply for special events such as Championships , GolfNSW medals etc but will apply for most of our weekly comps. Nothing is set in stone and these may change from time to time depending on numbers but hopefully will be fairer and give everyone a better chance of being in the winners’ circle.
T- shirt orders Remember that a new club T-shirt is being introduced. Orders can be made at the Proshop and there are similar shirts there that can be tried on for size. Shirts are $80 each and include the embroidered club logo. The first order will be sent away within the next few days so hurry to get your order in.
Thank you to all the members who have been sending me photos of events and winners – I know how every one likes to see their images.
Till next time – keep warm and happy golfing. Sally H.