Now that the elections are all over, we can settle down and get on with the job of restoring and preserving the mansion at Duntryleague.
Over the past few months we have been busy getting support from the majority of the candidates in both the state and federal elections. I am pleased to report that we received 100% support from everyone we spoke to.
The best estimates of the work we have to do in the mansion and surrounding grounds has given us a target figure of $6million. It is a lot of money.
Our first priority, of course, is the mansion and we are looking at completing the work in three stages.
STAGE 1: Stage 1 includes the preparation of a Development Application and preparing grant applications to the various organisations.
Once they are in place and approved we will start work that will include:-
- Removal of the storeroom on the ground floor verandah,
- Converting Margaret Dalton Lodge into 3 individual units with ensuites,
- Conversion of the kitchen in Margaret Dalton Lodge into a satellite kitchen to service the function rooms on the ground floor of the mansion,
- Repairing and restoring the 1st floor verandah of the mansion,
- Constructing new toilets and bar on the ground floor, and
- Constructing a lift shaft.
STAGE 2: The most important work in Stage 2 is the installation of the lift and all the services in the lift shaft.
Whilst this is happening we will be:
- Refurbishing the ground floor rooms and verandah,
- Construction of a new room replacing rooms 4 and 5,
- Refurbishing room 6 after alterations are made for the lift, and
- Refurbishing room 7,
- Refurbishing rooms 1, 2 and 3,
- Constructing a new balcony outside rooms 4 and 5.
STAGE 3: The additions to the back of the building will be undertaken in Stage 3.
Refurbishments will continue in the guest house rooms including:
- Refurbishment of rooms 8, 9 and 10,
- Refurbishing room 11 after alterations are made for the lift,
- Refurbishing of room 12,
- Converting 14 into two new suites,
- Refurbishing Room 16,
- Construction of a balcony outside room 16, and
- Refurbishing the tower.
Each stage is expected to cost around $2million and it is hoped that all three stages can be completed within two years.
During this time the guest house will continue to operate with a reduced number of rooms. We expect to have a minimum of 14 rooms available to guests during the entire construction period, reducing or limiting any financial stress for the golf club.
The challenge now is to raise the necessary funds to complete the work. Our initial target is to raise $1.5million and seek grants and assistance from Local, State and Federal Governments.
We are extremely pleased to have the support of Orange City Council, our State Government and local member Phil Donato and the Federal Government and our federal member Andrew Gee. They will be crucial to the success of this very important project.
Tax-deductible donations can be made through the Australian Sports Foundation, who will issue a receipt and you can include in your tax return.
If you have any questions about this project or donating, please contact the foundation.
Duntryleague Mansion Foundation Limited
Mobile: 0417 651 084